Welcome news! The National Capital Commission (NCC) will be undertaking a rehabilitation project on the historic Rochon Residence, beginning on March 15.
Constructed as early as 1832 and built of squared timbers, the house is a rare surviving example of a typical Lowertown house of the early 19th Century. Situated at 138 St. Patrick Street, it was once the home of Flavien Rochon, a sculptor known to have carved the stalls and sanctuary of the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica in 1844, and who also worked on the Library of Parliament.
Rehabilitation work to protect the building's character-defining elements will include interior renovation, structural restoration and reinforcement, and removal and reinstatement of exterior cladding. The project is expected to take one year.
As the house is a federally recognized heritage building, its stewardship falls to the NCC. The rehabilitation is being undertaken as part of the NCC's major infrastructure projects.
Heritage Ottawa will be participating in an NCC-led workshop this spring to consider a possible "Capital" function for the rehabilitated house.