Werner Ernst Noffke (1878 – 1964) was arguably one of Ottawa’s most influential and prolific architects. Noffke set up his practice at the beginning of the 20th century and built many magnificent private homes throughout his career, including Colonial-revival style homes in the Glebe for the Clemow Development, and others in Sandy Hill. Noffke also designed scores of industrial, commercial and institutional buildings across Ottawa's downtown core including the Postal Station located at Elgin and Sparks streets and the Medical Arts Building on Metcalfe Street. Many of Noffke’s buildings survive and continue to successfully fulfill their originally intended functions. As a collection, these buildings illustrate the evolution of mainstream architectural styles during the first half of the twentieth century.
Shannon Ricketts in an Ottawa-based architectural historian who has researched and written extensively on Canadian architecture.
This publication includes her past research, updated to reflect the present state of Noffke’s buildings in Ottawa.
Read more about W. E. Noffke and Shannon Rickett’s new book in this Ottawa Citizen article by Maria Cook:
Have the book delivered to your home address, or opt for shipping directly to a gift recipient!
If sending a gift, enter the recipient's name and address into "Shipping Details" during the Checkout process.