HERITAGE OTTAWA, By Leslie Maitland
The Built Heritage Sub-Committee (BHSC) has recommended the designation of St. Anne's Rectory, located at 17 Myrand Street in Lowertown, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Designed in 1921 by Ottawa architect Werner Ernst Noffke, the limestone rectory building is an excellent example of Beaux Arts design. The designation would also protect some exceptional features of the building's interior.
The structure originally served the parish of St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church, and is a splendid representation of Francophone Roman Catholic architecture as found in eastern Ontario and western Quebec. The building is currently in use by the National House of Prayer.
Lowertown Community Association representative Liz MacKenzie made a persuasive presentation to the BHSC at its February 12 meeting.
Heritage Ottawa supported the recommended designation, based upon an excellent Staff Report ( available to view by clicking the link beneath this article ).
The BHSC's recommendation is the first of a three step approval process. The sub-committee's recommendation will be considered by the Planning Committee at the end of February, before a final decision is made by Ottawa City Council.