Readers of the Ottawa Citizen have voted the Aberdeen Pavilion as Ottawa's "most eye-pleasing building".
Designed by Ottawa architect Moses C. Edey and built in 1898 by the Dominion Bridge Company for the Central Canada Exhibition Association, the Aberdeen Pavilion is the only surviving large-scale exhibition building in Canada dating from the 19th century. The building was named in honour of the Earl of Aberdeen, incumbent governor general and a staunch supporter of the agricultural fair movement. With its innovative and lightweight structural steel construction, uninterrupted and light-filled interior space, elaborate pressed metal ornamentation, corner towers and striking central dome, it's hard to imagine that this significant Ottawa landmark was threatened by demolition in 1991.
Heritage Ottawa advocated for the preservation of the Aberdeen Pavillion, which thankfullly survived to endure as one of Ottawa's most beloved buildings.
Citizen columnist Phil Jenkins recently invited readers to nominate the best and worst of Ottawa's buildings, sparking an outpouring of impassioned feedback. Read his column here at the Ottawa Citizen.