Celebrating Village Heritage
The Sixth Annual Heritage Ottawa Forum
Village of Kars | Saturday, September 30, 2017
9:30 am to 4:00 pm | Doors open at 9:00 am
Heritage Ottawa and the Rideau Township Historical Society invite you to Celebrate Village Heritage, an all-day Forum on the special heritage of Ottawa's villages with a focus on how to enhance and protect their unique historical attributes. This informative event will include speakers, a walking tour of the Village of Kars, and an afternoon bus tour of beautiful Rideau Township.
Here are some highlights:
- Giulio Maffini, an architect with over 30 years of experience as an entrepreneur, will discuss Manotick's experience with the City Design Guidelines for Rural Villages with a focus on the Falls House in Manotick Village.
- City of Ottawa Archivist Paul Henry will share details of the Rideau Branch’s 27-year success as an archive “hub,” connecting south Ottawa’s rural communities with a variety of heritage resources.
- City of Ottawa Heritage Planning staff members Avery Marshall, Adrian Phillips and Amber Polywkan will explain heritage policies with an emphasis on the Heritage Register and Designation.
- A brief history of Kars will be followed by a guided walking tour of the picturesque village.
- Jim Mountain, Director of Regeneration Projects at the National Trust for Canada, will share his years of experience training and coaching communities on how to regenerate their Main Streets.
- A closing Bus Tour with commentary will take participants on a drive through beautiful Rideau Township, stopping at heritage sites along the way including such landmarks as St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, the Thompson Barn, the Rideau Archives, and more.
Lunch and refreshment breaks will be provided.
Presentations will be in English with questions and comments welcomed in both English and French.
The complete FORUM PROGRAM is available for download or printing.
Event space is limited so pre-registration is required. The registration fee of $20 per person includes lunch, refreshments, and access to all events.
You can pre-register here on our website by making a $20 donation and entering "Heritage Forum" in the commemorative donation field.
Registrations can also be made by mailing a $20 cheque to our office at:
2 Daly Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1N 6E2
Please include your name and email address so that we can contact you with any event updates.
If you have any dietary restrictions, please click here to let us know.
We look forward to seeing you on September 30!
Kars Community Centre, 1604 Old Wellington Street, Kars
Free parking is available.
We are offering display tables upon request, free of charge. If you or your organization would like to take advantage of this opportunity, please click here to contact us.
Please note that tax receipts will not be issued for Heritage Forum registration fees.