50 Years | 50 Stories

Ontario 150

In celebration of our 50th anniversary in 2017, Heritage Ottawa is pleased to present 50 Years | 50 Stories.

Throughout 2017, we shared the stories of 50 buildings that Heritage Ottawa has helped to save and preserve for future generations during our 50 years of advocacy work as champions for outstanding historical architecture.  Many thanks to Ken Elder for the considerable hours of research he has devoted to this project.

All 50 stories are published in French on the French-language version of our website. 

Heritage Ottawa is also pleased to have joined in celebrating Canada's and Ontario's 150th anniversaries throughout the course of this landmark year!

 

Heritage Ottawa gratefully acknowledges the support of Ontario150 for this project.

 

  • 30. St. Brigid's Church | St. Brigid’s Centre for the Arts

    St. Brigid’s Church was built for the English-speaking, mainly Irish Catholic parishioners of Notre Dame Cathedral in Lowertown. Completed in 1892, the imposing edifice was designed by…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - Hangar 66

    29. Hangar 66 | Rockcliffe Airport

    Hangar 66 was one of three identical double hangars built in 1940 at the RCAF Rockcliffe Air Station to serve the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP). The hangars were erected by the Royal Canadian…
     

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - Caplan's Department Store

    28. Caplan's Department Store

    Caplan’s Department Store began in 1897 as a small dry goods store on Rideau Street. Founded by Caspar Caplan, who had arrived from Lithuania in 1893 with less than a dollar in his pocket, it eventually grew to become…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - St. Charles School | Schoolhouse Square

    27. St. Charles School / Schoolhouse Square

    The former St. Charles School, designed by Moses Edey (1845-1919) and Francis Sullivan (1882-1929) for the Ottawa Roman Catholic Separate School Board, was built in 1910 to serve the…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - Ottawa Police Headquarters

    26. Ottawa Police Headquarters

    Purpose-built to replace the deteriorating police station on Queen Street (constructed in 1888-1889), the Ottawa Police Headquarters on Waller Street was designed by noted modernist architect Peter Dickinson (1925-1961) of Page and Steele…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories: Atwood Block, 97-105 Rideau Street

    25. The Atwood, 101 Rideau Street, and the Featherstone Building

    Dating from the late-Victorian and Edwardian eras, these three adjacent buildings on the north side of Rideau Street, west of William Street, form part of a block-long, historic commercial streetscape…

  • 24. Central Experimental Farm: Part 2

    The designation of the Central Experimental Farm (CEF) as a National Historic Site in 1998 was a watershed moment in the Farm’s history. With its scientific importance internationally recognized, its key role in securing Canada’s food security…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - Central Experimental Farm, Part One

    23. Central Experimental Farm: Part 1

    The Central Experimental Farm (CEF) was established in 1886 by the Government of Canada. It includes an administrative core and range of support buildings, arboretum, ornamental gardens, display beds and experimental fields in a picturesque setting

  • 22. Clegg-Feller Building | Windsor Smoke Shop

    The Clegg-Feller Building is the oldest surviving examples of commercial architecture in Ottawa, according to architect Julian Smith. The five-bay commercial block on the northwest corner of Dalhousie and Rideau streets was likely built on speculation in 1864…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - ByWard Market Heritage Conservation District

    21. ByWard Market Heritage Conservation District

    The ByWard Market is named after Lieutenant-Colonel John By, who in 1827 drained and cleared the area’s dense cedar bog creating a commercial, non-military sector of Bytown to accommodate…

Pages