50 Years | 50 Stories

Ontario 150

In celebration of our 50th anniversary in 2017, Heritage Ottawa is pleased to present 50 Years | 50 Stories.

Throughout 2017, we shared the stories of 50 buildings that Heritage Ottawa has helped to save and preserve for future generations during our 50 years of advocacy work as champions for outstanding historical architecture.  Many thanks to Ken Elder for the considerable hours of research he has devoted to this project.

All 50 stories are published in French on the French-language version of our website. 

Heritage Ottawa is also pleased to have joined in celebrating Canada's and Ontario's 150th anniversaries throughout the course of this landmark year!

 

Heritage Ottawa gratefully acknowledges the support of Ontario150 for this project.

 

  • 40. Nicholas-Waller-Laurier Triangle

    Bounded by Nicholas and Waller streets and Laurier Avenue East, the triangular parcel of land known as the Nicholas-Waller-Laurier Triangle was considered a gateway into…

  • 39. The Daly Building

    The Daly Building, as it is best known, was located on the north side of Rideau Street between Mackenzie Avenue and Sussex Drive. The original four storey department store was built…

  • 38. St. Isidore Roman Catholic Church

    The first church built to serve Catholic families in the former township of March was a modest cedar log chapel, erected in 1836 on the John Lahey farm bordering March Road. By 1884…

  • 37. Double House at 171 - 173 Bolton Street

    Located in the north-west section of Lowertown between Dalhousie and Cumberland streets, the double-house at 171-173 Bolton Street was built prior to 1861 when Lowertown was a predominatly working class…

  • 36. The Woolworth and Kresge Buildings

    In December 1928, the S.S. Kresge Co. of New York purchased the buildings from 172 to 182 Sparks Street from Famous Players Canadian Corporation, whose plan to build a movie theatre had failed…

  • 35. Robert Nicholas Slater House

    Located adjacent to Christ Church Cathedral, the Robert Nicholas Slater House was among the eight buildings that formed the Cathedral Hill Heritage Conservation District when it was created in 1989…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - E.B. Eddy Digester Tower

    34. E.B. Eddy Digester Tower

    The E.B. Eddy Digester Tower is a prominent reminder of the Ottawa Valley's early industrial roots.  Ezra Butler Eddy (1827-1906), incorporated the E.B. Eddy Manufacturing Company in Hull…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - Garden of the Provinces

    33. Garden of the Provinces and Territories

    The Garden of the Provinces and Territories is one of Canada’s foremost Modernist landscapes. Proposed in the Gréber Plan of 1950 and designed in 1960 by landscape architect Donald W. Graham…

  • Heritage Ottawa 50 Years | 50 Stories - Guigues School | École Guigues

    32. Guigues School | Centre de services Guigues

    Named for Monsignor Joseph-Eugène-Bruno Guigues, Ottawa’s first Roman Catholic bishop, Guigues School was built in 1904 to accommodate 100 boys. The building was designed by…

  • 31. Archbishop's Palace

    The Archbishop’s Palace (known as the Bishop’s Palace until 1886) was built between 1849 and 1850 during the same period as Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica and the College of Bytown on Sussex …
     

Pages